Vintage Venetian Glass Beads

One of a kind

Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads

Murano Island, very small and pretty island located along side of the Murano canal in Venice, Italy is famous for their glass arts.
Though the industry has been shrinking as low-cost beads made mainly in India and China finding its place on the market, Murano Island is still a home to a vast number of glass factories and glassmakers today.


Glass making in Venice is believed to be originated in 13th century with significant Muslim influence as Venice was a major trading port.
To protect the original Murano glass art and techniques, glassmakers along with the materials and fuels they used to make glasses were forced to move to Murano, which resulted in a great number of glass factories compacted on small islands where people improved and refined each other’s art work.

 イタリアはヴェネチア本島の北東、マラーニ運河に沿って位置するMurano(ムラノ)島。
とても小さく可愛らしい島です。
ガラス工芸が有名で今でも多くのガラス工房や専門店がひしめきあっています。
ヴェネチアンガラスの正確な起源はいまだ謎に包まれていますが、
ヴェネチアがかつて東西貿易の中継地点だった13世紀頃からイスラムのガラス製法が伝えられたと言われています。
技術流出の保護政策として原料や燃料、さらにはガラス職人までもを強制的にムラノ島に移し
小さい島に工房が密集した結果、技術の切磋琢磨が進み質が高く芸術性に優れた多くの名品が生み出されました。


Those beads were exported all over the world. 80% to Africa and the remaining 20% to the rest.
 
Time and places give them different shapes and color and they have played various roles from currency to keepsake from parents to their children. Our interest and curiosity toward these tiny beauties never end.


そして、ムラノ島のトレードビーズはアフリカをはじめ、北米、南米、中東やアジアといった世界中に運ばれていきました。
8割はアフリカ、残り2割が北アメリカやアジアに渡ったそうです。
  
そんな歴史あるムラノ島ビーズもインドや中国が生み出す低価格の大量生産品に価格競争で勝てず
多くの工房が閉鎖していきます。
今ではそれぞれ特色のあるガラス食器やインテリアなどを作る工房は残っているものの
僕らが探している小さなガラスビーズを作っているコンテリエ会社は残念ながら存在しません。

I have been searching for glass beads that have been passed around the world as trade beads in various places.

I have been delighted and saddened by the beads made here in the old days.

The structure, color, size, and pattern of the beads vary depending on the year of manufacture and the place of origin, and some of them are custom-made.

Beads acquired through bartering have various meanings and uses, such as being worn in ethnic ceremonies or used as neck ornaments to be passed down from parent to child.

Even if the beads are the same, they have different personalities depending on the person who strings them, and the local characteristics are exuded in a mysterious way.

I get excited just looking at them!

これまでもトレードビーズとして世界中に渡ったガラスビーズをいろんな場所で探し求め、
ここで作られた古い時代のビーズ達に一喜一憂してきました。
製造年代や渡った場所によって構造や発色、大きさや模様も様々で中には別注品もあったりと興味は尽きません。
物々交換により入手されたビーズは民族的に儀式の際に纏ったり、首飾りにして親から子へ大切に伝世したりと意味や使い方もまた様々です。
同じようなビーズでも紐に通す人によってそれぞれ違った個性が出るのに不思議とその土地らしさが滲み出ていたりして
見ているだけでもワクワクしてしまいます。

Souvenir shops, glass shops, factories, closed glass companies, collectors, dealers and even storage of some individual’s.
Went all over Murano and mainland, and luckily came across the dead stock.
 
There’s nothing like finding beads you’ve never seen before.
We’ll keep you all updated on our bead collections!

もうないと分かっていながらも諦めの悪い自分は無数に並ぶ土産物屋からガラスの専門店をはじめ、
現存するファクトリーから廃業したカンパニー、工房跡地を訪ね、コレクターやディーラー、個人宅の倉庫まで
人伝てにムラノ島と本島を行ったり来たり駆け巡り
幸運にも眠ったデッドストックに辿り着きました。
 
見たこともないビーズ達は本当に素晴らしい。
少しづつですがご紹介していきます。お楽しみに!

Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
通常価格
¥15,000
セール価格
¥15,000
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
通常価格
¥15,000
セール価格
¥15,000
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
通常価格
¥15,000
セール価格
¥15,000
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
通常価格
¥15,000
セール価格
¥15,000
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
通常価格
¥15,000
セール価格
¥15,000
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
Murano Dead Stock Glass Beads Necklace
通常価格
¥15,000
セール価格
¥15,000